From Nervous Delegate to Passionate Speaker: My MUN Evolution

Since early childhood, I loved giving speeches. I was the kind of kid who got excited about debates, discussions, and even political arguments. The world of geopolitics always fascinated me, even if I didn’t fully understand it back then. I remember sitting in awe as my seniors took part in MUNs. The way they carried themselves, the confidence, the flow of the committee, it felt like a puzzle I couldn’t solve. Secretly, I wanted to try, but I never thought I could actually pull it off.


Everything changed when a friend encouraged me to give it a shot. I finally gathered the courage to register for my very first MUN. The moment I got the allotment mail, I was shocked, amazed, flabbergasted-but most of all, excited. My portfolio was Brazil. To be honest, I felt a little disheartened at not getting countries like India, USA, or Russia, but I reminded myself, it was just the beginning.


I researched, prepared, and poured my heart into that first speech. When the big day arrived, nerves kicked in. I even raised the wrong motion to start the committee (rookie mistake). Luckily, the Executive Board was kind and guided me without making me feel embarrassed. That small act of encouragement gave me the confidence to keep going. Two days of intense debate, learning, and teamwork later, the awards were announced and to my surprise, I received Verbal Mention 1st in my very first MUN. That moment sealed it for me. I promised myself I would not stop here.


Fast forward to now: from being a nervous first-timer to gaining the experience of 15+ conferences as a delegate, Executive Board member, and even Secretariat, the journey has been surreal. I’ve sat on the EB panel as Rapporteur, Vice Chairperson, and Co-Vice Chairperson. I’ve taken on Secretariat positions as Head of Secretariat, USG of Delegate Affairs, Deputy Secretary-General, Director-General, and even Head of Marketing, all before turning 16. Back then, the flow of MUNs felt like a puzzle, but now it’s as smooth as butter.


From representing Brazil in my first committee to later representing India, China, Russia, Japan, and the USA, I’ve come a long way. Each country taught me something different about global politics and about myself. From my first Verbal Mention to winning Special Mention at IIT Delhi MUN as USA, every award has felt like a reminder that I belong in this space. In fact, over time, I’ve managed to bag every kind of award that exists in the MUN world-Verbal Mention, Special Mention, High Commendation, Best Delegate, and more.


But awards aren’t the only thing MUNs have given me. They’ve taught me resilience, adaptability, leadership, and the power of teamwork. I’ve learned how to think on my feet, draft meaningful resolutions, negotiate with confidence, and speak without fear. Most importantly, I’ve learned about people-how to listen, how to collaborate, and how to stand firm when it matters.


For me, MUNs are not just about debating policies; they are about building confidence, discovering passion, and finding a community that shares the same drive. It has become my comfort zone-the place where I feel alive, challenged, and truly myself.


And this is just the beginning.🌻


One day, I may outgrow MUNs—but MUNs will never outgrow me.


~ Prachi Shukla (Proud MUNer) 🫶🏻

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bridging the Digital Divide: Hamari Pahchan’s ‘Gadgetshala’ Initiative

Project Reignite: A Movement to Restore Balance and Hope

Education For All: Hamari Pahchan NGO's Initiative To Uplift Underprivileged Children