How LinkedIn Stopped Feeling “Too Adult” and Became My Space
When I was younger, I genuinely believed LinkedIn was only meant for adults with jobs, suits, and serious careers. The idea that students could have LinkedIn accounts never even crossed my mind. So when I first found out people my age were on LinkedIn, I was honestly astonished. It felt too grown-up, too professional, too out of reach.
I used to get flabbergasted seeing people’s achievements on that platform. My own sister had a LinkedIn account, and one day she convinced me to make mine too. I was terrified. I thought I wouldn’t fit in. I felt like I had nothing worthy to write down, no “real” accomplishments, nothing that would make me look like I belonged there.
Still, with her help, I created my LinkedIn profile. Even after making it, I couldn’t shake the thought that the platform was “too adult” for me. But as I started connecting with people my age, I had my first big reality check. I saw students just like me but 10 steps ahead. Until then, I used to think I had enough achievements for my age. LinkedIn showed me I was living like a frog in a well, unaware of how big the world outside really was.
And strangely, that reality check did not break me, it pushed me.
LinkedIn slowly started working wonders for me. I began discovering opportunities I never knew existed-internships, MUN roles, collaborations, competitions, and projects across different fields. The more I explored, the more doors opened. I suddenly had things to add to my experiences section, not because I forced it, but because I finally started seeking and earning them.
Somewhere along the way, LinkedIn stopped feeling scary. It stopped feeling “too adult.”
It became my space.
I now scroll LinkedIn more than I scroll reels. I genuinely love seeing other people’s wins. I celebrate strangers like friends and they do the same for me. The random “Congratulations!” comments from people I’ve never met sometimes feel more genuine than validation I expected elsewhere.
LinkedIn didn’t just give me visibility, it gave me confidence. It didn’t just show me how behind I was, it showed me how much I could grow. For the first time, I didn’t feel like I was just above average at everything. I started feeling like an individual someone who is building something of her own.
I joined LinkedIn scared, and now it feels like home.
Comments
Post a Comment