Stuck Between Passion and Interest: My Battle Between Science and Public Speaking

From the very beginning, I was sure about one thing-I wanted to opt for science. It excited me more than anything. I was fascinated by every concept, every phenomenon, every little mystery it tried to solve. And honestly, science had the perfect image attached to it: the best stream, the best profession, the best future. It felt too good to be true.


I thought I had found my purpose.


But deep down, something always felt slightly off. Like I was floating above the ground instead of being rooted in it.


Because while I loved science for its problem-solving and critical thinking, there was one part of me that science simply didn’t acknowledge - my love for public speaking.


Science never considered that important.


Then one day, I discovered debating and MUNs. Suddenly, everything clicked. They had everything science had - problem-solving, critical thinking, structure, logic. But they also had something science couldn’t offer me - a stage, a mic, and an audience.


That was the missing piece.


For the first time, I felt like I had found my perfect dream. Like life finally made sense.


But that’s where the real conflict began: Passion vs Interest.


People often say passion and interest are the same but they’re not. Interest is something you like. Passion is something you cannot live without.


My interest lies in science.

But my passion lives in debating, speeches, and public speaking.


Society tells me that science students shouldn’t “waste time” on such things. That public speaking won’t help me in the future. That I should focus on my “real career”.


But how am I supposed to leave my passion for the sake of my interest?


And at the same time - how can I completely sacrifice my interest for the sake of my passion?


It’s like living in two worlds at once.


While studying, my mind wanders to my upcoming debate.

While debating, I feel guilty thinking I should be studying.


If I score less, I’ll be blamed. Nobody will see how far I’ve come in the journey of my passion—because passion doesn’t come with report cards.


Lately, something sad has started happening. The very passion that once gave me pure happiness has started pressuring me to focus on my interest. I still love debating with all my heart—but sometimes I feel like, if I ever leave it someday, it won’t be out of choice. It’ll be because of my “respected” stream.


There’s a fine line between my passion and my interest—and I’m standing right in the middle of it, questioning my entire life.


Maybe one day I’ll find a way to blend both. Maybe I’ll create a path that no one else has walked before. Maybe science and public speaking don’t have to fight-they just need to learn how to coexist.


Until then, I stand here-not confused, but beautifully conflicted.


Because sometimes, being torn between two loves isn’t a weakness. It’s proof that you have more than one thing worth living for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bridging the Digital Divide: Hamari Pahchan’s ‘Gadgetshala’ Initiative

Project Reignite: A Movement to Restore Balance and Hope

Education For All: Hamari Pahchan NGO's Initiative To Uplift Underprivileged Children